Here is a list of the top ten mistakes made by Spanish speakers, in my experience, when speaking English.
The mistakes are in no particular order :-
1. Saying “espain” rather than pure Spain (i.e. without the e at the beginning)
2. Not saying a pure b or v sound
3. Saying “joung” instead of young
4. Not writing with double letters when necessary (e.g the incorrect spelling of necessary!)
5. Not using his or her correctly
6. Missing out it in expressions like “it is necessary”
7. using an i instead of a y in words like system
8. Pronouncing w as in whiskey as “guiskey”
9. Not using the verb “to be correctly in phrases such as I am …years old
10. Saying “it depends of” rather than the correct “it depends on”
Most of these mistakes result from Language 1 influences (i.e. Spanish as the maternal tongue)
So there it is – the top ten mistakes to try and avoid in English if you are a Spanish speaker.
Below is an audio version of this post.